Thursday, September 1, 2011

You want to know #6?

Actually, it should really be #1. I am referring to the list I blogged yesterday of my top 5 reasons for rejecting a manuscript. The most important reason, which I failed to mention is...

... drum roll, please...

6. No "Limitations" paragraph
This is something that no manuscript should neglect, as every study, even the most well designed and executed randomized controlled trial, has limitations. So, in every paper that I write, my third paragraph from the end is devoted to the laundry list of limitations. And it should not be merely a laundry list, no. Each limitation mentioned needs to be put into the context of how it may have influenced the results, directionally and magnitudinally (oh, whatever), if applicable.

So, no limitations paragraph, no "Accept" from me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment